Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Mindfulness and Feeding

Thanksgiving was good time off. I am very thankful for life and the support of electronic friends who have supported me in my journey.

The weather is weirdly balmy today with a high aroung 60. Too bad I've had to work. It would have been a great day for a hike! But there is always a lot of work after a holiday weekend.

I visited with a friend in a local Hospice care facility. He is only in his 70's, and I'm not sure what his diagnosis is, only his prognosis. I went in the morning; he was drugged but he knew me. Then breakfast arrived. he couldn't really manage eating on his own, hands too shakey. So I took some extra time and fed him. Remembering to be patient while feeding someone is important so he doesn't choke. I had toa practice some mindfulness and focus on picking up each bit of egg or grits and carefully guiding it to his mouth. Then, focusing on his mouth and chewing and swallowing. A good practice and lesson in patience for me.

I hope someone will feed me, one day, if necessary.

Much accomplished through the day, despite several meetings that were important (I guess) but nonetheless tedious. Maybe the weather will hold out long enough for me to get a hike in on Thursday (when I can swing some time).

While I can still feed myself, while I can still walk, while I can still focus and be mindful, I will give thanks. Deo gratia.

Cheers, Joe

1 comment:

BentonQuest said...

I remember working with a guy who was paralized from the neck down. He had a ventilator and you had to read his lips to understand what he was saying. Oh, and English was a second language for him! I would get so frustrated by not understanding him. And the words of wisdom he gave me were: "Keep coming back, you will understand."