Saturday, March 25, 2006

Addendum

Comments I have received on my past three posts have been helpful and thought-provoking. I am grateful to all who have made comments and want to finish this "series." This is a bit of an addendum to the last post.

This quote from Rilke is one I have used and misquoted often. Now finding the "real thing" I am more amazed at it. Rather than my blathering on about it, I ask all to read it with great care.


...I would like to beg you dear Sir, as well as I can, to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.

Rainer Maria Rilke, 1903in Letters to a Young Poet

As I struggle to love and live into the questions, I am praying that I live my way into the answers.

Grace, Peace, and Love to all, Joe.



4 comments:

A Troll At Sea said...

MTB:
Thanks for checking in, and thanks for the Rilke. For a number of reasons, I have re-named my blog and removed a possibly incriminating photo.
You can find me at "A Troll At Sea".
T2T

Michael Dodd said...

Man! This is why I know it was a sacrifice to give up the blogosphere during Lenten weekdays! I miss so much wonderful stuff like these posts of yours. At the same time, it is salutary for me, because it means that I can't jump in everyday with my two-bits of wosdom, but have to wait and watch how the Spirit has moved in you and other readers fine without me. More than one lesson for me there.

I do pray for you daily, though, so that will continue to be my contribution (if such it is) to the process.

qrlmaexp -- the interior frustration caused by thinking that you had something really important to contribute to a discussion but said discussion has moved far beyond that point by the time you get a chance to say a word. Also, the name of an angel bearing hidden graces

A Troll At Sea said...

The question I have pursued over the last several years -- well, to be honest, have occasionally taken off the back burner over the last few years -- is this:

What does it mean for me, a married leather-bound gay man, to pick up my cross and follow Him?

I think I know, and felt I got a boost from something my wife said in church today: we are feathers on the breath of God, and the note that God blows on a reed flute -- our job is to fly where the breath lifts us, to be as true a note as we know how, with as little tremolo and quaver as we can manage.

But I would be interested to hear what the rest of you think. Drew? Joe? Geek-boi?

freethnkr said...

Amen and amen.