Monday, December 03, 2007

I am a warrior

My New Warrior Training Adventure weekend is over, but the journey has just begun. It was one of the most affirming, empowering, and encouraging experiences of my life.

Those attending were straight, gay, and bisexual (but mostly straight guys). Ages ranged from mid-twenties to mid-sixties. Mostly white, a few people of color were there, both as participants and staff. And, the staff was made up of straight and gay men.

I'd guess there were some straight guys there who were probably homophobic as hell, but I encountered no disrespect or harassment of any sort. And, some straight guys appreciated the chance to talk openly with and learn from their gay brothers just what it's like for us. Where does one have the chance to ask and tell and learn like that?

The processing and integration of all that happened is ongoing. Thank you M., S., M., and D. for encouraging me to begin this journey.

6 comments:

Ur-spo said...

if you want more about Warrior energy, I suggest you read the works of Moore, starting with "King, Warrior, Magician, and Lover". good reading!
also, Iron John by Bly.

Anonymous said...

Joe,
Glad that your weekend was fruitful. God is faithful to us. Hope to chat more soon.

Peace and all manner of good,
Paul (Anglican4ever@yahoo.com)

Wild Halcyon said...

Welcome to the path of the New Warrior. I have encountered only a small amount of homophobia in the organization since I did my weekend 14 years ago and have continued my journey with them ever since. There is even an annual Gathering for Rainbow Warriors in the summer near Indianapolis which I hope you get to attend.

Peace, Brother. Enjoy your journey and trust the process.

john said...

I'm glad that you had a good time!

Sooo-this-is-me said...

So happy to hear that you enjoyed it Joe, I hope it gives you the tools you need to feel better about who you are.

Steven

Anonymous said...

You know I've always wanted to do something like this, have you ever checked out http://www.spiritjourneys.com/
I've always wanted to do one of these sometime too, and you are signed up to be one of my pillows.

D
http://deveil.wordpress.com