Friday, June 25, 2010

The paws that refreshes!


Sorry about my spelling there, but . . . . . .

Being true to one's self has such wide-ranging effects I could never have imagined.  Embracing and befriending the fear can turn it to joy.  And so it has.  I had the most fun!  As I come to be my authentic self (no small task, no easy journey - but it's getting easier) things come more easily, more confidently, and more joyously.  The fear has been so much in reaction to perceived "musts, should, and oughts;" the joy is living my life as the one I have been created to be, and called to fulfill.

Oh, my goodness!  I can't thank Sean and Jeffrey enough for the grand hospitality they shared.  It was wonderful to get to know Jeffrey, as he and I have some amazing parallels in our stories.  Sean was his always-effervescent self and (despite his protestations) a good tour guide.  And, Sean drove me around to find an affordable camera to replace the one that bit the dirt (literally) in Albany's Washington Park.  The sight of Moses parting the waters was just too much for me.  Gravity took hold.  thump.

New York state, through its rural areas, is beautiful!  One so tends to think of New York as "the City," but that is such a small part of it all.  While I knew this intellectually, I'd never been anywhere else in the state (and, to the City only twice, each time for a mere couple of days, and in mid-winter).

Thanks, Jeffrey, for the camera guide; and Tom, drop me an email. Josh, thanks for the plug.

The drive down the state, into New Jersey (where I'd never been) and into Pennsylvania was actually relaxing.  I enjoyed the rural scenery and made my way to Lake Gonebelow (a little known place that appears out of the mists when you cry Woof.)  This be the home of the great Lemuel.  He treated me to a delightful lunch of Philly cheese steak and home made fries (at a local establishment with license to provide such eminent fare).  Desert was particularly good, as well.

Then, on to the wilds of Bowie, Maryland, where Jeff and Isaac (and their greyhounds) were warm, friendly hosts.  Y'all hang on to my Birkenstocks.  I'll get them on my next big adventure.  Isaac drove me into DC on his way to work.  There, I was able to arrange to meet with old friend and colleague, Frank, whose story parallels mine in so many ways.  He treated me to lunch and good conversation.  We walked in the sweltering heat through the National Zoo.  I wish I could remember to take pictures.

And there's more.  For later.

I've had the most fun in the last week than I can remember having in years!  And it's not what you think.  Or, maybe it is, but that's not all, I mean, well.  Never mind.

13 comments:

Lemuel said...

It's bad enough to be at the Lake in this heat, but DC?! and at the Zoo?! (with all the smells)

See, we're not so bad in the northeast. We only occasionally eat bears who wander into our midst. *eg*

I think I would speak for all of us who had a chance to meet you on your journey: it was our joy and our pleasure!

HUGS!

Michael Dodd said...

One of the great joys of being out is the unexpected fun of playing with other gays, don't you think? I don't think I would have guessed how different it is from playing with straight friends, fun though that is. There is a freedom to it, a lightness. Glad you are having a good taste of it.

Cubby said...

I'm very happy for you that you had the chance to travel a bit. Hopefully they'll be much more in your future.

Breenlantern said...

Thanks for making us part of your journey.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Hopefully, it will be the first of many great adventures for you.

Java said...

I am thrilled for you! Revel in the freedom to be yourself.

hugs!

Anonymous said...

It is fun to be who God made you to be!

This is from BentonQuest but I couldn't get the computer to understand that!

Neil said...

OK, that is good but I hope you're not going to go from one extreme to the other and deny the existence of any musts, shoulds and oughts.

Neil said...

Ok, that is good but I hope you're not going to go from one extreme to the other and deny the existence of any musts, shoulds and oughts.

Ice John's World said...

Good to know that you had a great fun trip!

Greg said...

What a wonderful trip! You've met more bloggers than I ever have, and they sound like a very warm and hospitable bunch. Glad you had a good time!

LivingFiction said...

Glad you enjoyed yourself!

DuPree said...

Wish we'd known you were coming (my bad)as we live off the Thruway - it would have been fabulous!